Cookietales (dieneryn)

Danishes and Cookies (How I Made Them - Fast Review)

0
Before I begin, this quick review is based on air-dry clay. The techniques might differ a bit for polymer clay users, but I'm sure you guys can adapt, no? :P

Not sure if these looked like danishes to you guys lol. But they are meant to be! Again, this post is based on work influenced by Tomo Tanaka-san, the great miniaturist. You definitely need to check out his works (Nunu's House) if you have not!

Size: 6mm by 6mm

These are coconut cookies.

Size: 4mm by 4mm

Since I learnt how to make the danishes and cookies from his book, it would be an infringement of copyright if I were to explain the steps in detail, so I will just give a brief run-through xD

Step 1: Creating your Prototype.

This technique is the best if you will be creating several of the same pieces. Take time to sculpt the prototype properly. In this case I made the danish base and cookie prototype at the same time.

Step 2: Make a Mold!

Yes, make a mold of your prototype, and duplicate them! You can make each piece look different by texturing them differently. That's the fastest and most efficient way ^^

There are many mold makers you can choose to use, from cheap Oyumaru (Daiso) or even Amazing Mold Putty if you have the cash to spare :D

At this point in time I would like to show you guys how I lay out my pieces for easy "painting".


I place several strips of double-sided tape on a piece of board and put all my clay duplicates there. Don't worry, they come off fairly easily one dried (air-dry clay). For polymer clay users, you probably have to do it a little differently. :D

Step 3: Let The Clay Dry! 

This is a fairly important step. Details might be lost easily if you start painting while the clay is still moist, so... be patient! Take some pictures while you wait!

^ The danishes are each textured differently on the edges and sides.

Step 4: "Baking" time!

By baking, I meant painting them till you get the colour you want xD You are free to use acrylic paint or watercolour paint. Even oil paint, as some crafters do. However, I personally avoid oil paint as the paint does not dry even after a week for me o.O

While painting, make sure to paint them carefully in layers to achieve a more realistic look. For pastries, give the edges a darker brown to show the effect of baking. Experiment and have fun!

^ Painting them like this prevents the pieces from moving about.

^ Side view

Once those are dried, Make sure to flip the pieces around and paint the other side! ;)

Final Results:

^ The fruit pieces are meant to be figs. I know they look a little fail here D;

^ Plate of coconut cookies <3

I hope you guys enjoyed this post! *_*

0 comments:

Post a Comment